Friday, February 3, 2012

Fourth Week of Class - 01/31/12

Wow!  The fourth week of class already!  Where does the time go?!  My prediction for the Super Bowl?  Well, here it goes - 10 point spread, New England 34-24…What else could I possibly say - with my ties to Boston and all…   ;0)

What is my purpose in being a teacher?  Well…it's complicated.  I was a probation/parole officer for several years and saw people at their worst, day in and day out.  My heart would often break, not for my clients, but for their children.  In terms of my clients, if I had a dime for every time I thought, "if only someone would have intervened for them as children, maybe they wouldn't be sitting in front of me today," I would be rich.  As a result, I made it a priority to get to know my clients' children.  I went out of my way to show interest in them.  I chatted with them about school work, play, and life in general.  I was always amazed at how showing them that I was interested in what they had to say made their eyes light up.  At some point I came to the conclusion that I could make more of a difference working with kids than I could working with adults.  Hence, my major career change.

I was fortunate enough to have a couple of very talented teachers while I was a child.  One in particular was my 11th grade English teacher, Dr. Fred Hayes.  Though he probably never knew it, he single handedly taught me how to write.  He had a way of teaching that enabled his students to learn without even knowing they were learning.  He made writing fun.  I always felt he was actually interested in what I wrote by the comments he made on my papers.  Dr. Hayes created a learning environment that was safe and free from ridicule and made everyone feel like what they had to say was important.  He taught us to go out on a limb and write from the heart.  He told us that the form and format would come later.  That year in 11th grade was a turning point for me.  He told us repeatedly, "Learn to write well, and the sky will be your limit."  I took it to heart.  To large extend, I am who I am today thanks to him.  I don't think I would have been college material had it not been for Dr. Hayes.

Dr. Hayes is my role model.  I want to light a fire in my students and help them develop a love for learning.  I want to challenge them to think "outside the box," see things from new a perspective, develop self-confidence, become critical thinkers, challenge the status quo, tap into their creativity and have the courage to reach beyond their comfort zones.  This makes a connection to the larger society because, in my opinion, well rounded, well grounded people make important, positive contributions to our community in whatever capacity they find themselves in, whether it be as a nuclear scientist or as a janitor and everything in between.

I know this sounds kind of corny and that I see the world through "rose colored glasses."  But I know its possible, because that is what Dr. Hayes did for me.  Dr. Hayes passed away in 2008.  I am profoundly sad that I never took the time to tell him how he impacted my life.  He was truly one of a kind.  I will honor his memory by striving everyday to pattern my approach to teaching after his.


4 comments:

  1. You truly have beautiful cause for wanting to be a teacher. That is quite a career change but it makes all the sense in the world. And it's admirable that you were concerned for your clients' children and natural after a while that you felt working with kids would make a bigger difference in your world and in turn, their world, as well.
    Dr. Hayes sounds like he was a wonderful man and teacher and I think it's important that you mentioned how he impacted your life the most as a student. I think we all have that one that stays with us throughout the years. I enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great reason for a career change! You saw where you could make an impact and are going for it - admirable! Sounds like Dr. Hayes created the kind of classroom environment I would love to have as a teacher. Free to learn and feel safe in doing so. So important to be able to not worry about what others will say when learning something new. Also think that thinking outside the box and being able to think critically are essential for life and if kids can learn that while in school, all the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good story and a seemingly worthwhile career change. Man, I cannot imagine how I would be affected by being in your previous career- intense to say the least. It is pretty amazing how much of an impact teachers can have throughout one's adult life, for the good or the bad. And the good ones are seemingly always ones who are motivated, supportive, uplifting, but challenging and sometimes incendiary. That is what I want to be in any subject I teach. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I relate to your appreciation for your teacher Mr. Hayes. I have numerous teachers in my past life who took me seriously, challenged me to ask difficult questions of myself, but who also inspired me. Without their inspiration, guidance, and support, I doubt I'd be who I am now. Every one suggested I consider teaching as a career. One aspect of my influential teachers was that they refused to accept my or any other students's attitudes that communicated that we couldn't do something or that the materials we were dealing with were beyond our understanding. They challenged us and then gave us the tools and guidance to find our answers on our own.

    ReplyDelete